Tuesday 7 January 2014

Welcome to the Domestically Disabled Cook Blog!

Happy New Year and HELLO 2014! :) 

My New Year resolution this year is a little different than those in the past. Yes, losing a few pounds (okay a lot of pounds) is in there again but I'm going to go about it in a different way this year. Instead of starting some amazing new workout routine which could last anywhere from a few days to a couple of months I'm going to focus on food this year instead of a new workout. This month I can't wait to learn how to cook food that doesn't look and taste like crap, and to share everything I learn with you! I'm also going to go outside of my comfort zone and learn how to cook meat, fish, and other items that I don't eat as I'm vegetarian. No, I'm not going to start eating meat. I'm going to use thermometers and other tools and tricks to let me know that it's cooked properly. I'm also going to spend a month in India studying Yoga and to receive my Yoga certification to teach once I return.


So back to the cooking here’s a little background on where I’m starting from. In grade 5 when I was 11 I wanted to be a vet so I decided I should stop eating my patients and became a vegetarian. Growing up I didn't help out much in the kitchen mainly just setting the table and cleaning. When I say cleaning I mean putting dishes into the dishwasher and putting them away. I lived at home during university and never had to step foot in a grocery store. When I graduated and moved to a big shiny new city my idea of making a salad at home was putting salad dressing on spinach. The majority of my fridge was beauty products. Yes, lotions, nail polish, and many more products are very happy being kept in the fridge.

Then I met the man of my dreams. The first meal I ever made for my boyfriend was toast with peanut butter. Pretty fool proof right!? I kept bread in the freezer and peanut butter in the cupboard in case I got hungry and this was all I had on hand when we were craving a snack. My Cinderella toaster that imprinted Cinderella's shoe on my toast and played a waltz when the toast was ready died and it wasn't the easiest appliance to replace. What toaster could possibly compare? So I decided that I could make toast in the oven if I ever wanted some. Basically what I ended up making reminded me of a giant crouton with peanut butter on it.


My weight has continually fluctuated my entire life and it wouldn't be strange for me to gain or lose 30 pounds in a year. In order to be the healthiest I can I am going to learn more about nutrition, yoga, and personal training in order to make this my new lifestyle and career. Does that mean I'm going to work out 5 hours a day and never touch gluten? NO! It means I'm going to lead a more balanced life.

What's this blog going to be about you ask? Well the plan is to write about cooking, recipes, product reviews, life hacks, organization, and cleaning but we'll see where it all goes in the next while. ;) Thank you for dropping by and I hope you learn something new every time you visit.


This year and this blog is all about finding balance in every aspect of my life and helping others do the same! Please leave any questions or tips in the comments below! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment